Writing 101: Day 2: I am to write a list of things I like, things I’ve learned, or things I wish. I did all three:
Things I’ve Learned:
According to the United Nations High Commissioner of Refugees, using 2014 data, there are:
It breaks down like this:
42,500 individuals per day are forced to leave their homes and seek protection elsewhere, either within the borders of theirown country or in other countries.
- 19.5 million people are refugees ( person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster)
- 38.2 million people are living as internally displaced persons (persons forced by persecution, war or natural disaster to flee their homes to another location within their own country.)
- 1.8 million individuals have requested protection as asylum seekers ( have fled their country already but have not been accepted as a refugee by their host country so have no protections.)
- 51% …that is just shy of 30 million are under the age of 18.
- 53% came from three countries: Syrian Arab Republic (3.88 million).Afghanistan (2.59 million), and Somolia (1.11 million)
- The Top Countries assisting: Turkey (1.5 million), Pakistan (1.51 million), Lebanon (1.15 million), Islamic Republic of Iran (982,000) Ethiopia (659,500), Jordan (654,100).
- U.S. sold more than $26.9 billion in weaponry to foreign nations, while Russia sold weaponry exceeding $29.7 billion in value around the globe (2013 figures!), according to Business Insider.
The Huffington Post reports that Germany expects to accept 800,000 refugees by the end of 2015, doubling their admitting 400,000 in 2014.
Things I like:
- My Journalism Skills for Engaged Citizens from University of Melbourne Australia through the MOOC Coursera.
- My Writing 101 Class through WordPress
- The magic potential involved with the “Open New Tab” button on my computer.
- Doctors Without Borders is operating in 70 countries including Syria, South Sudan, Afghanistan, and Nepal. Go to their website and see how you can help.
- Germany welcoming 800,000 refugees this year.
- Speaking up about events and situations that concern me at JoHannaMassey.com
Today’s Music: Protest, Resistance, and Dissent in Native Americans